Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Rankings & Review
The Great Dome on the campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The Dome and its adjoining buildings frame a courtyard facing the Charles River that is between Boston and Cambridge. The MIT campus extends for about a mile along the riverfront, and is at the center of a high tech hub in Cambridge, MA.
|School Colors||Cardinal Red, Silver & Black|
|Athletic Conference||NCAA Division III – New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference|
RealRank Ranking Categories
|Tuition Profile||Private University; high.|
Key: Platinum: Elite Class; Gold: Very good; Silver: Successful, with room to improve;
Bronze: Mid to low range; NI: Needs improvement.
|Academic Range||Well-Rounded broad curriculum|
|Medical||Joint MD-Ph.D. program with Harvard Medical School.|
|Core Science Breadth||Yes|
|Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities Breadth||Yes|
|Human Sciences / Education||No|
|Public Health / Urban Policy||Yes|
Here are some of the notable alumni from MIT, who some say made an impact on the world. Are there any others you would add to this list?
- Kofi Annan – Past Secretary-General of the United Nations and winner of Nobel Peace Prize.
- Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin – Apollo 11 Astronaut and second person to walk on the moon.
- Ben S. Bernacke – 14th Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve.
- Amar Bose – Founder of Bose Corp.
- Vannevar Bush – Inventor and head of U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development during World War II.
- Robin Chase – Co-founder of Zipcar.
- Mario Draghi – Prime Minister of Italy, and President of European Central Bank.
- Richard Feynman – Physicist and winner of Nobel Prize for Physics.
- Ilene S. Gordon – CEO of Ingredion.
- Shirley Ann Jackson – former chair of United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission and President of Rensselaer.
- Salman Khan – Founder of Khan Academy.
- Charles Koch – CEO Koch Industries.
- Paul Krugman – Economist, political commentator and winner of Nobel Prize for Economics.
- Bejamin Netanyahu – longest serving Prime-Minister of Israel.
- I.M. Pei – Architect.
- Jonah Peretti – co-founder of Buzzfeed and The Huffington Post.
- George Schultz – U.S. Secretary of State in 1980s.
- Jim Simmons – Founder of Renaissance Technologies.
- Joseph Stiglitz – Economist and winner of Nobel Prize for Economics.
- Tom Scholz – Musician and songwriter; founder of Boston.
- Virgilio Barco Vargas – past President of Colombia.
- James Woods – Actor.
Who else would you add to this list?