University of Michigan Rankings Profile
By most standards, University of Michigan is considered among the top public universities, if not one of the best of all universities. This university has performed quite well under our real-world analyses, placing it among the top rankings in numerous fields of study.
The university is located in Ann Arbor, a mid-sized city about an hour from Detroit. Part of its renown comes from its athletics department, which historically has recruited top talent, and ranking among the top in many sports. This sports and academic success fuels an large alumni network, annual giving and a large sized endowment. The university ranks high in the RealRank real-world renown rankings, academic breadth and diversity. In recent years, the university has brought in one of the largest diversity administrations staffs, as a means of addressing a perceived diversity gap.
The rankings in which the university has appeared can be found at the end of this profile.
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|School Colors||Blue & Gold|
|Athletic Conference||Big 10|
RealRank Ranking Categories
|Tuition Profile||Public. Mid-range cost for in-state residents, high cost for out-of-state residents.|
Key: Platinum: Elite Class; Gold: Very good; Silver: Successful, with room to improve;
Bronze: Mid to low range; NI: Needs improvement.
|Core Science Breadth||Yes|
|Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities Breadth||Yes|
|Human Sciences / Education||Yes|
|Public Health / Urban Policy||Yes|
So you graduated from a university, but have you made your mark on the world? Here are a few of the notable alumni of University of Michigan that you may have heard of:
- David Barger – Founder of JetBlue.
- Tom Brady – The GOAT. Considered by many to be the greatest football quarterback of all time.
- Clarence Darrow – Defense attorney famous for the Scopes “Monkey Trial”.
- Gerald Ford – Former U.S. President.
- Sanjay Gupta – Neurosurgeon and medical correspondent for CNN.
- James P. Hoffa – President of Teamsters Union.
- James Earl Jones – Actor
- Lucy Liu – Actress
- Madonna (Madonna Louise Ciccone) – Performer.
- Larry Page – Founder of Google.
- Michael Phelps – Swimmer, winner of 28 gold medals.
- Iggy Pop (James Newell Osterberg Jr.) – Musician, known as a founder of the alternative music scene (did not graduate).
- Mike Wallace – CBS News correspondent, and original 60-minutes co-host.
- Raoul Gustaf Wallenberg – Swedish diplomat, successfully opposed Nazi Holocaust, designated as one of “Righteous Among Nations” by Israel.
Who else would you add to this list?
Most Popular Majors
The most popular majors at University of Michigan include the following. Although percentages are provided for value range understanding, these percentages may fluctuate from year to year:
- Engineering (16%)
- Computer and Information Sciences (12%)
- Social Sciences (11%)
- Biology (9%)
- Business and Marketing (9%)
- Psychology (8%)
- Visual and Performing Arts (5%).