Georgia Tech Rankings Profile
Overall Rank: Ranked #12 in the Brook Report Best Colleges in the United States ranking for 2022. Scroll down for the detailed subject major rankings, following the college data.
Georgia Institute of Technology is better known as “Georgia Tech.” It was the first technology focused university in the South, and was founded after the Civil War. In a way its founding vision was to help bring the South out of the physical destruction of the war by educating an enlightened student base to support reindustrialization. You could say it was ahead of its time, as the first of the tech incubators. This high-tech model became more famous in recent years, with Stanford incubating in Silicon Valley and MIT doing the same in Boston.
Georgia Tech is one of the leading colleges for engineering in the United States. It has ranked high in a number of science and tech academic disciplines, in our RealRank rating system. As a public university, it offers an economic and cultural diversity that the other leading tech schools cannot provide, such as MIT, CalTech, Rensselaer and Carnegie Mellon. The rankings in which Georgia Tech has appeared can be found at the end of this profile.
Its fight song is nationally known, and quirky – “The Ramblin’ Wrecks of Georgia Tech.” The expression was derived from some makeshift vehicles that Georgia Tech engineers had built for projects in the rain forests of South America. Others started to refer to these vehicles as “Rambling wrecks form Georgia Tech,” and the name stuck, as a badge of honor symbolizing ingenuity. Now the school mascot, in addition to a “Yellow Jacket” is an old Model A car, shown in the picture with the college cheer squad.
|Georgia Institute of Technology
|Yellow Jackets / Ramblin’ Wrecks
|“Tech Gold” and White
|Atlantic Coast (“ACC”)
RealRank Ranking Categories
|Public university with relatively low tuition for in-state residents and high for out of state residents.
Key: Platinum: Elite Class; Gold: Very good; Silver: Successful, with room to improve;
Bronze: Mid to low range; NI: Needs improvement.
|Core Science Breadth
|Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities Breadth
|Human Sciences / Education
|Public Health / Urban Policy
Here are some of the notable alumni of the University of Georgia Tech. You probably have heard of a lot of these, but are there any others you would add in?
- Chris Bosh – NBA basketball player.
- Kevin Brown – MLB baseball pitcher.
- Jimmy Carter – President of the United States (did not graduate).
- David Dorman – CEO of ATT.
- Mike Duke – CEO of Wal-Mart.
- David Duvall – Golfer.
- Jeff Foxworthy – Comedian.
- Nomar Garciaparra – MLB baseball shortstop and sports analyst.
- David C. Garrett Jr. – CEO of Delta Airlines.
- Dean Kamen – Inventor of the Segway.
- Bobby Jones – Golfer and founder of The Masters Tournament.
- Samuel Nunn – Senator from Georgia.
- James D. Robinson III – CEO of American Express.
- John Salley – Sports commentator and former NBA player.
- Mark Teixeira – MBL baseball first baseman.
- Richard H. Truly – Astronaut and U.S. Navy Vice-Admiral.
- Juan Carlos Varela – President of Panama.
Who else would you add to this list?
Most Popular Majors
Various engineering disciplines by far are the most popular at Georgia Tech. The top 3 majors are:
- Engineering (over 50%)
- Computer Science